Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Closeness and Peer Goups

One of the things on which I am working is to have a challenging and inspiring peer group - people who inspire me, are honest with me, don't look at me blankly when I share my outrageous dreams, and who are examples of how I should conduct my life.

This task comes with obstacles.  Firstly, Australia is a large, relatively unpopulated continent, throughout which these people are finely spread (let alone throughout the world!).  Secondly, successful people always seem to be very busy leading their very exciting lives.

Then yesterday I came to the realisation that being close to someone had nothing to do with proximity or time.  It is all to do with being in the same mental and emotional sphere as someone else.  Whenever we feel close to someone it is because we are aligned in some way.  Perhaps it is a common goal.  Sometimes it is the honest sharing of feelings.  Often it is simply knowing that they are pursuing their goals with the same passion as you.

After all, you can sit next to someone on a train or a plane, and not feel close to them at all!  You can be sitting on a couch (or lying in bed) with a loved one and feel lonely.

It just means the pair of you are approximate, but not close!

No comments:

Post a Comment